July 30, 2018, marks the 42nd anniversary of the day Studly Doright and I were married. We said our “I do’s” in a small Baptist Church in Dumas, Texas, where we were surrounded by family and friends. Our exciting honeymoon was a long weekend spent in Amarillo, Texas, a whopping 45 miles from Dumas.
Most of those friends and family didn’t expect that we’d remain married a year, let alone 42 years, after all, we were just barely adults. Yet here we are, more than four decades into this experiment called marriage. We’ve had some outstanding moments of couplehood and some really rotten times, as well. We’ve managed to survive through a lot of hard work, love, and forgiveness.
Four years ago on this date I published a piece titled “38 Reasons Why” in tribute to Studly. I even followed it up with a piece the next year. But today I give you 42 reasons why I love this man, and how we’ve made this whole marriage thing work.
1. He thinks I’m smart.
2. His sense of humor. It’s corny and quick and keeps me on my toes.
3. He’s a great mechanic. That ability has been ridiculously valuable throughout our 38 years together. No matter how broke we were we’ve always had reliable transportation.
4. He is handsome. Much better looking than I deserve.
5. He’s honest in his dealings with others. His golf buddies refer to him as the Boy Scout. He never cheats. Never.
6. He can admit when he’s wrong.
7. He isn’t afraid to show emotion.
8. He loves our kids fiercely.
9. The grand kids have compared him to a jungle gym. And he would do anything in his power to make them happy.
10. He is loyal, sometimes to a fault.
11. He treats his mother like a queen.
12. He is generous and big-hearted.
13. His laugh. Oh, wow, his laugh. Sitting through a funny movie with Studly is one of the best mood lifters in the world. I highly recommend it.
14. He is a really good kisser.
15. He is an incredible leader.
16. Have I mentioned how smart he is?
17. He will dance with me if he has had enough to drink.
18. He is a good driver.
19. He taught me to ride a motorcycle without wringing my neck.
20. He likes to hold hands.
21. He does everything in his power to make sure I’m happy.
22. Studly loves our cats as much as I do.
23. He is consistent. That might sound boring, but he’s the perfect counterpoint to my Inconsistency.
24. Punctuality is important to him.
25. He makes kick ass obstacle courses.
26. He is a decent amateur auctioneer for our family reunion fund raisers. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in witty repartee.
27. He is really good at mental math. I never need a calculator when he’s around.
28. My parents loved him.
29. He insisted that Daddy move in with us so we could care for him after Mom passed away. The two years we had with Dad before he died were some of the best of our lives.
30. He never lets me take myself too seriously.
31. He doesn’t worry.
32. He respects my opinion and listens to my points of view.
33. He sees me as an equal partner in our marriage.
34. He can cook much better than I can.
35. He can laugh at himself.
36. Studly has a stellar work ethic.
37. He knows how to enjoy life.
38. And, he loves me. He really, really loves me.
39. No matter how crazy his work becomes, he seldom brings it home.
40. He’s taken me places outside of his comfort zone because he knows how much I love to travel.
41. Studly supports my need for adventure even when he doesn’t want to join in.
42. He can still surprise me even after all these years together.
I made it! Truth is I could’ve gone on, but I probably lost most of my readers half way through. That’s ok. This one’s for my husband.