Today I was a first grader. Not for the entire day, just for lunch and recess. Here’s what I learned:
1. Lunch guests are instant celebrities. Everyone wanted to sit with me and tell me everything about their families, their pets, and their best friends. I spent an hour being the popular kid. It’s about time.
2. School lunches are better if you talk more than you eat.
3. You get in trouble if you talk more than you eat.
4. You know you’re in trouble when the supervisor has to blow her whistle, not once, not twice, but three times before all the kids stop talking.
5. My granddaughter has a boy friend that she really likes, but she doesn’t like like him, she just likes him. Intonation is everything.
6. I think I’m ready for 2nd grade now.